Spring is here at last! We smile with relief at the return of longer days, at the signs of new life sprouting up around us, and breathe in the sweet fresh air of the season. Suddenly our garden chores seem less chore-like.
For the lawn:
- Fertilize the lawn in late April, using a 3-1-2 ratio slow-release or natural organic formulation.
- Mow regularly.
- Recycle grass clippings on to the lawn (“grasscycling”).
In the garden:
- Plant annual seeds of asters, cosmos, marigolds, zinnias.
- Take stored fuchsias and geraniums outdoors; cover if frost returns.
- Finish garden cleanup and fertilizing.
- Thin direct-seeded crops as they sprout.
- Sow carrots and parsnips
- Late in the month, plant squash, zucchini, pumpkins and cucumber seeds indoors.
- Don’t forget to start your garden log!